The last 2 weekends I have been travelling and doing school in between. One weekend to Rosario and Cordoba and this past weekend to Peninsula Valdes. The most amusing part of both of these trips is that I visited a Swiss town in Cordoba and took high tea in a Welsh town near Peninsula Valdes.

Who knew that you could come to Argentina and experience so many cultures?!? I don't even have to go to Europe anymore. They even have an American "town" right here in Buenos Aires. It is called "Kansas" and it is a restuarant (but big enough to be a city) and it is owned by Huston's Restaurant. Every Sunday the other Americans go there to get their fix if American style baby-back ribs and mashed potatoes. It is like a home away from home (but the waiters still speak Spanish).
This week I was on a quest for a turkey in honor of Thanksgiving. That proved to be a fruitless search. Argentinians, according to everyone including the poor meat guy I accosted, do not eat turkey except on Christmas. It is forbidden all other times. So on Dec 15 the stores start stocking turkeys and then the day after Christmas all of the turkeys are promptly removed. So in honor of Thanksgiving, I did something as American as I could think of .... I ate at McDonalds. But it wasn't the same. The McDonalds was clean. The hamburger was made from meat and my sundae had Dulce de Leche on it. Sigh. I'm just going to have to settle for a big fat piece of beef and say my "thanks".
I'm going to the Shakira ("Shakira Shakira") concert on Sat night and then I'm off on my amazing race through Argentina, Chile, Uruguay and Brazil.
Hope all is well and Happy Thanksgiving!
No comments:
Post a Comment